Gender Resource Center project came into existence in the year 2002 under Delhi Government’s Plan scheme -“Bhagidari: New Initiatives in Social Development”.
A society named Mission Convergence / Samajik Suvidha Sangam was formed by the Government of NCT of Delhi in the year 2008 as a single window facilitation centre for delivery of welfare entitlements to the urban poor. The GRC project also came under it’s purview in the same year. Subsequently, Suvidha Kendras were also attached to GRCs. These Kendras act as interface between people and government making it accessible by taking services to community doorstep and bringing awareness about governmental schemes and programmes.
The Department of Women and Child Development releases grant-in-aid to Samajik Suvidha Sangam for managing the G.R.C. project and also monitors its functioning. At present there are 130 GRC’s, spread over 11 districts of Delhi.
GRCs are envisaged as instruments for bringing about social, economic and legal empowerment of women belonging to the underprivileged sections of society through interventions in the areas like legal rights, economic initiatives, skill building, micro-enterprises, entrepreneurship development and health.
Objectives of the project are as under
- To act as a catalyst for making Delhi safer for women through social, legal & economic empowerment.
- To improve health of women and girls.
- To impart skills for specific trades and to provide linkages enabling women to be a part of productive work force to obtain good remuneration.
- To provide facilities with linkages for school drop-outs to return to the mainstream and to provide non- formal functional literacy.
- To establish a mechanism for linking existing government schemes for women and to enable women to access them better.
- To raise awareness on relevant issues and to provide legal literacy about women’s rights.
- To set up a documentation center for the purpose of information dissemination
Following activities are being organized at the level of G.R.Cs to achieve the above mentioned objectives:
- Economic empowerment through vocational training.
- Social empowerment and financial self reliance through women’s self help groups for micro credit and micro finance.
- Rights awareness through legal workshops and legal aid.
- Health and nutritional awareness through camps.
- Literacy through non formal education.
Department of Women and Child Development,
Government of N.C.T. of Delhi, GRC,
1 Canning Lane, Kasturba Gandhi Marg,
New Delhi – 110001.
Contact number: +91-11-23070378
Mission Convergence / Samajik Suvidha Sangam,
Government of N.C.T. of Delhi, B Wing, First Floor,
Vikas Bhawan-II, Bela Road, Civil Lines, Delhi-54.
Mission Director. +91-11-23813181
Deputy Director. +91-11-23813179
For more details official website of Samajik Suvidha Sangam / Mission Convergence can be accessed at missionconvergence.org